SEGRA is recognised as Australia’s most credible independent voice on issues affecting regional Australia. Take an active role in advancing regional, rural and remote Australia at SEGRA 2018 in Mackay from 22-25 October.
SEGRA, now in its 22nd year, is committed to enabling regional, rural and remote Australia to source and identify the knowledge, techniques and skills regions require to achieve successful economic growth and development.
Click on the image to download the SEGRA 2018 Call for Papers Brochure
Beyond the Boom: Opportunities for growth and vitality
The impact of economic business and trade cycles, depending on severity and rate, have profound effects on national economies. Regional, rural and remote Australia are often more acutely vulnerable to these cycles given their more immediate connection to agricultural and commodity cycles.
Set against the backdrop of the vibrant city of Mackay, a service centre for its broader agricultural, mining and tourism economies, SEGRA 2018 will be showcasing how regions can leverage the challenges of both these extremes to create vitality and growth in regions.
The SEGRA National Steering Committee is inviting submissions from regions that have faced the challenges of boom and bust and used their unique local skills and attributes to diversify and grow. Papers focusing on business attraction and investment strategies, the use of multi-level governance and localism to drive decision making, promoting environmental sustainability, and maximising technology and infrastructure to create connectivity are particularly sought.
Action Agendas - for more information, visit Spotlight Sessions
- Regional Australia and the national agenda - what does policy and practice look like in regional, rural and remote Australia?
- How to attract private sector investment into regional, rural and remote economic development partnerships.
- How places in regional, rural and remote Australia make the best decisions.
- How technology and innovation provide business growth and social inclusion opportunities for rural, regional and remote Australia.
- How to grow sustainable regions: supporting economic, social and environmental assets of regional, rural and remote Australia.
- How Regional Australia adds value and value adds.
- What does good decentralisation look like?
CLICK HERE to submit your paper now.
SEGRA is pleased to partner with the Journal of Rural Society to produce a special edition of SEGRA contributions. There is the opportunity for blind peer review of these papers, if requested. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Guidelines for offering a paper
SEGRA is predominantly attended by practitioners, regional economic development organisations, local councils, businesses, not for profit and state and federal government who live, work and invest in regional rural and remote Australia. A review of the papers from previous years will assist in pitching your paper.
Submitted papers must address the following:
- an alignment with the conference theme;
- in the presentation of case studies, an outline of the key learnings and outcomes of the project or program; and applied learning experiences of the project and their relevance to ecotourism and responsible tourism.
- submissions must be made electronically via the SEGRA website;
- abstracts must be no more than 250 words;
- abstracts should contain a brief summary of the content areas of your proposed topic;
- abstracts must not contain graphs, diagrams or complex tables; indication if you are also happy for your paper to be considered in the keynote program; joint presentations are welcome;
- a 150 word biography of each presenter;
- a high resolution headshot photo of each presenter; and
- the title should aim to be precise and concise so that it conveys a clear message.
All presenters must be able to cover their own registration fees, accommodation and travel costs. Accepted speakers will be offered a 10% discount on registration fees. The discount excludes accommodation, networking events and study tours, as these activities are charged at cost price.
Accepted speakers must register and pay prior to Friday, 31 August 2018 to have their paper confirmed and published online.
To enable delegates to interact with presenters we encourage speakers to attend the entire conference. As a minimum, speakers must be registered and attend the day of their presentation.
The titles of papers and presenter’s details will be provided (excluding contact details) on the conference website. The Secretariat reserves the right to edit the title of papers to reduce their length if required. Any Author changes to the title or abstract of papers must be provided to the SEGRA Secretariat by email prior to 5:00pm on Friday, 14 September 2018 (AEST).
Speakers with accepted abstracts will be required to prepare and submit their full presentation by 5:00pm (AEST) on Monday, 1st October 2018.
Phone: +61 474 747 773
What people are saying about SEGRA
It is a great conference that has so many levels of people attending and mixing into a single melting pot for the betterment of Regional Australia - SEGRA Delegate
It was a powerful and positive event where it was possible to integrate with keynote speakers - State Government
I believe it is important that these conferences have a representation from across the NFP sector as it is often these organisations that are on the ground and doing the grass roots service delivery in regional communities - Not Disclosed
It is the best Regional Development Conference in Australia…the hard part about the planning profession is getting them to think past the metropolitan areas - Business Director
This was my first SEGRA conference; I found it an excellent way to network with regional colleagues and great to have such a diversity of economic development people in one place. I thought the calibre of speakers was excellent - Not Disclosed
I find that there is not a comparable Conference on the National circuit and the content and networking opportunities presented are highly relevant to my work, therefore if a colleague was working in a similar field I would recommend it to them - Peak Body